Over the past 10 years one name has become synonymous with house audio. Sonos was one of the pioneers of wireless speaker technology. Utilizing the same basic principles as those used in wireless home networks, they created a system of speakers, amplifiers, and pre-amps that communicate without cords.
Sonos Wireless Home Theater
Since those early days they have branched out into even more products. Now you can create an entire surround sound system in your living room or home theater without running any speaker wire. Instead of a traditional left, right, and center speaker configuration the Sonos theater system is based upon their PLAYBAR.
The Sonos PLAYBAR is an internally amplified speaker that handles all three front channels of a traditional surround sound system. You simply hook up a optical cable from your TV into the back of the speaker. The only other wire that is required is the power cable.
For the surround speakers you can utilize any of the other wireless speakers in Sonos’ line. The Play:1 is a perfect choice as it is small but still offers excellent sound.
To get the full movie theater experience you’ll also need bass. They’ve got this covered as well. The Sonos SUB offers amazing performance in a compact package. As with all the other speakers in their line the sub is wireless.
Wireless Home Audio
Sonos offers a couple different options when it comes to configuring your whole house audio system. If you already have wiring and speakers throughout your house you can use one of their CONNECT: AMP to power the speakers. Each amplifier is capable of powering two speakers. Here’s a quick look at what it can do
- Stream music to your favorite indoor or outdoor speakers.
- Lots of power. Built-in amplifier powers large or small speakers.
- Rated at 55 W per channel at 8 Ohms.
- RCA line-in for connecting a range of playback sources.
- Subwoofer line-out.
- Utilizes wi-fi, not Bluetooth, so the music never stops – even if you get a phone call.
If you already have amplifiers in place and you just want to be able to stream all of your music through the intuitive Sonos control you can use one of the Sonos CONNECT. It allows you to do the following:
- music streaming to the audio equipment you already own.
- Offers analog, optical and coaxial digital audio outputs.
- Line-in. Plug in any of your favorite music sources.
- Will even play an amplified turntable.
- Stream CDs and LPs to Sonos speakers in other rooms.
- Uses wi-fi, not Bluetooth, so the music never stops – even if you get a phone call.
And of course you can always get one of their amplified speakers allowing you to listen to your favorite music in any room in the house. Home audio doesn’t get any easier than this.
The options include the PLAY:1, PLAY:3, and PLAY:5.
The PLAY:5 offers the ultimate in music performance. It includes:
- Fills a large room with pure, brilliant sound.
- Deep bass that packs a punch.
- Impressive sound whether mounted vertically or horizontally.
- Intuitive top panel touch controls.
- Plug in any device you desire to the back via the line-in.
- Uses wi-fi, not Bluetooth.
So if you’re looking for a way to add music to multiple rooms in your house without the hassle of running wires, take a look at the Sonos system.